Saturday, July 24, 2010

Once Upon a Time...

Adam and I at our first Halloween together.
As we plan our wedding, and you spend valuable time reading about those plans, I am constantly reminded of where we started. Great love stories usually begin with a meet-cute, a chance encounter where a man and woman are introduced and their lives of happily ever after begin. Ours is no exception.

Zach and Kelly met in high school, Donna and David sparked while dancing the night away at a school dance, Carrie and Big literally bumped into each other on the street and Adam and April met at a date auction. Yes, a date auction. I know what your first question is, as I have gotten it for about 6 1/2 years now. "Did you buy him?" The truth is, I didn't. I know, I know...but how did our happily ever after begin if I didn't buy him? I'd like to tell you it was fate or destiny or one of those things, but the reality is, it was just smart planning by a girl who was smitten.

Adam was auctioned off as part of a charity function his fraternity was participating in. It was fall of my freshman year at UNC, and I was looking for those quintessential college experiences. My new friend, whom I met in Spanish class, was a member of Adam's frat, and asked if I could please come to the date auction and help to ensure there would be a full house. So, armed with one of my good friends, I arrived at the auction and took a look around. I spotted Adam across the room and immediately thought he was gorgeous. Later, he danced his way down the catwalk, soliciting cries of 60 dollars!, 70 dollars!, 85 dollars! Here is where the story gets slightly embarrassing. I thought no one was watching. I assumed everyone was busy with their lives. All but one person was...the frat photographer. I discovered, weeks later, as I was perusing the frat website (a.k.a. stalking Adam by finding information on him) that I had been caught. There, on the photos page, were snapshots taken at the date auction. When I got to the photos of Adam, I saw a terrible, terrible sight. Everyone in the crowd was talking, smiling and laughing while Adam stood on the stage. Except one. In the middle of the crowd was a girl who was not talking, laughing or smiling. This girl was staring. Staring up at Adam when no one else was. Staring up at him with such purpose that one wonders why her neck wasn't breaking from the strain. A whole crowd, busy with activity, one boy looking in the distance and one star-struck, smitten college freshman with an aura around her as she stared up at the boy of her dreams. This girl was me.

I was mortified. What a terrible, embarrassing photo! After that, I didn't see Adam for months (thank God!) We spoke briefly at the auction, but nothing big, and life went on as if nothing happened. In late January, my friend asked me if I wanted to tag along to another frat function since it was spring rush season and they needed hot girls to entice boys to join. Nice, huh? In a young adult novel, this would be the part where the character determines it was fate that brought her and her crush back together. I'd like to be given more credit than that. My friend was Adam's frat brother, I always knew this. I mean, hell, that's one of the reasons I kept him around (just kidding!) When I was invited to the event in January, I knew Adam would be there. In fact, I asked my friend if Adam would be there. Some call it fate, I call it follow through. I made a first impression at the auction (boy, did I ever!) and now it was time to get my charm on and close the deal.

I went to the event. And I charmed him. After that there were other frat events and dating and drama and perfect moments and imperfect moments and falling in love and an appreciation ring and amazing summers...and...life. And happily ever after.

So there it is. The story of us. Is it what you expected?

1 comment:

  1. Awwwww....You made me cry <3 I love you guy's! Love Mom

    ReplyDelete