Friday, August 13, 2010

Clueless Bride-to-Be Seeks Advice from Smart Blog Readers

2009 Halloween photograph shot by Cade Bowman
In a mere month and a half's time, my favorite photographer and high school classmate will fly up to Vermont and shoot our engagement photos. Adam and I are extremely excited for Cade's arrival and we have a ton of ideas for our shoot. Cade is no ordinary photographer; he has a photojournalist edge, loves to push the creative boundaries and turns out photos that are anything but run-of-the-mill. While many brides strive for the couple-sitting-on-lawn-or-bench-staring-fondly-at-each-other brand of engagement photos (and that's totally great for them) this is not what we want. I mean, c'mon, you've seen the Halloween photo we sent out (which, by the way, was shot by Cade.) We want creative, unique poses juxtaposed with anything but ordinary buildings and settings. We plan to use props and fabulous clothes. In short, these engagement photos will rock!


As I dream of my engagement photos, it occurred to me that I have no clue what couples do with these photos. I knew we'd get some blown up and scatter them throughout our house and I knew that we would give our parents some photos as gifts...but what else? We don't plan on designing a photo Save-the-Date or invitation, so that doesn't really fit. Perhaps other family members and friends will want copies? Or perhaps we'll just keep them for our pleasure and use them to make a photo book guestbook or something for the wedding? We also might use them at the wedding reception or ceremony in some fashion. My Mom didn't have much insight into this, as she quickly discovered she didn't know anyone who'd gotten engagement photos other than to use in the local newspaper. I don't think we'll be using them for that purpose, simply because Adam and I think it's a waste of money and doubt anyone in our small towns care about our upcoming nuptials. So, I turn to my wise blog readers. Surely some of you have taken and/or know others who took engagement photos. What did they do with them? What should we do with them?

5 comments:

  1. I know a couple who had beautiful engagement pictures done.They sent some to family members but used most of them for the wedding guest book. They also had there favorites enlarged to 5x7s and had the table numbers transposed on them to use as part of the seating arrangements. Each table at the wedding had a beautiful photo of the couple on it.

    -Auntie Ang-

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had some blown up to put in our apartment and not much else. I know a lot of people use them to make their guest book for people to sign at the wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heard that you are supposed to give your parents a copy of each and every pose <3 Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brad & I had some made up and all we did was gave them out at gifts to family members. I do like Angela's idea about the photo's being apart of the tables. I can tell you don't buy too many for your house b/c you'll want your actual wedding pics up more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. April, my friends Jacqueline & Adam did what KT said & used them as their guest book. Then they also took their favorites along with their favorite wedding pictures & made a little story. It was basically "we met, then we got engaged, and then we got married" and only 3 divisions but the book is beautiful & they keep it on their coffee table. And I think you would be surprised how many people enjoy getting an engagement photo around here ( : Hope Vermont is a lot cooler than Raleigh right now...ttys!

    Maggie

    ReplyDelete