Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Tackling Tacky

Engagements bring many joys, one of which is the registry. I cannot wait to register. I cannot wait to hold that little gun scanner thingy in my hand and zap, zap away. With our long engagement, Adam and I are waiting until closer to the wedding to register. We don't want to register too early for fear of items on our list discontinuing. Plus, we just want to save the registry process and still have it to look forward to. That being said, not everyone is a fan of the registry. Case in point, my mother. My mother loves purchasing gifts and always puts a great deal of thought into what she buys. She is a fervent opponent of the gift card, as she thinks it lacks the personalization a gift should contain. My mom does not like registries because she believes they suck the fun out of buying gifts by simply telling people what to get the couple. While she can see its purpose for items that need to match, such as dishes or sheet sets, she doesn't see its purpose otherwise. I of course, disagree, and often remind my mother that while she loves purchasing gifts and pondering about what to buy, not everyone does. Some people find it helpful to be given a wish list, especially people who do not know Adam and I well enough to know what we already own and/or want and hate trying to think of a gift to buy. I imagine a lot of people agree with my mom and a lot of people agree with me.

Registries are a hot button issue, and a lot of the debate surrounds the tackiness of it all. There are two tacky issues surrounding registries that concern me, so I thought I'd turn to the blogosphere to hash them out. First, many people (mostly older, I'll admit) find it tacky to register at stores other than the traditional department stores or a Target/Bed, Bath and Beyond variety. Many couples are now registering at stores such as REI for camping gear and outdoors equipment. Personally, I love this idea. If a couple enjoys camping or other outdoor activities, why shouldn't they register for those items? Plus, as a purchaser of many a wedding gift, I would have loved the option to buy the bride and groom a lantern or set of croquet clubs instead of a boring toaster. Adam and I would love to register for non-traditional items at non-traditional stores, but is it tacky? What do you think?

The second tacky issue involves notifying people of your registry. Basically, you shouldn't. (There he is, evil Should...I told you he lurks around corners and blindsides you.) It is apparently tacky to put registry information on your invitation because it implies that every guest should bring you a gift. Some people think it is not tacky to put a separate card in with the invitation that contains your registry information, but the jury of tackiness is still out on this one. Most people suggest using word of mouth and encouraging both sets of parents to spread the news to each side of guests. Or, with technology running rampant today, a lot of couples are advertising their wedding website on the invitation and then listing their registry information on their website. This is sort of a tacky loophole. So, what do you think? What is the best way to notify guests of a registry? Now, you know how I feel about Should, but in this case I certainly don't want our guests to think we are greedy, little bitches who only want them to come to the wedding so they can bring us a fabulous gift. Speak your mind below and let me know how to avoid being tacky.

6 comments:

  1. We just went with word of mouth and putting our registries on our wedding website, but lots of people called us or e-mailed us to find out where we were registered so I think the extra card with the invitation wouldn't be such a bad idea. Oh, and out of the ordinary registries are an awesome idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well.....now that the whole world knows how I feel about registries ')

    Actually, you hit the nail on the head...I like registries for things like dish patterns and towel sets...however, I do not see the need to register for a toilet plunger! Honestly, I do feel like the fun has somehow been sucked out of it for both parties, the gift giver and the recipient.

    With that being said... I do like the idea of out of the ordinary registries... I think it gives the guest the opportunity to buy the couple something a little fun and unique!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you need to register where you and Adam want. Otherwise you will register for stuff that you really don't want or need (and it'll just sit in your attic for years) but just to fill the registry. Also like you said not everyone knows what type of things you like. I do feel like word of mouth is a great way to get the registry out there. Now a days most people will ask around if they haven't already heard where you are registered.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Go register at any cool place you want...that is awesome.

    I never like the registry in the invitation thing. For two reasons. 1. Invitations are usually formal, beautiful, high quality and representative of the one of the most special days in your life...and then you stick a little slip of paper in that you printed off of your color printer and hand cut out...booooooo! P.S. half the time the ink rubs off said registry notification and ruins your $5 each gorgeous invite.

    2. I believe romance and finance should never be mixed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the unique gift registry idea!!! But I agree with Melisa... I'm not much for the gift registry information in the wedding invitation. I did all mine via my shower invites and word of mouth. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What about the more informal "save the date" things people send out. That might be a good way to get the word out and not have it in your formal invitations...and you can do a cool little story thing that has been on every other invitation you've made I like them.

    Bill

    ReplyDelete